This is a big couple of weeks. Not only do we have Book Week, we have the Royal Show coming on Friday. Talk about parenting stress!
Book Week is really a moment in time when we either flourish or fall into a heap as we realise we don't have the right ribbon, stockings, tail to go with the costume you thought you had sorted. Or to create the costume you completely forgot about, because, well, life. Ive both nailed it, and failed it. Either way, its an element of pressure I wouldn’t wish on any parent who was juggling work/drop off!
My big tips for Book Week:
1. Pop a reminder in your calendar 1 week prior.
2. Check the theme of Book Week online - yes there are themes each year - it narrows things down and gives you a focus.
3. Keep it as simple as possible if you're time poor, once you’ve googled for the home made options, check op shops and what you have at home. One year I made Blinky Bill ears…that was a winner. This year was as simple as a red ribbon for Matilda. Thank you Faith.
4. TRY and have some fun with it…it doesn’t have to be perfect.
Then we have the Royal Show. MASSIVE stress opportunity.
1. Pack enormous amounts of snacks and water. Then if you do buy food its a real treat and not going to take all your budget.
2. Whether you use one or not take a cheap stroller. They are great for carrying jumpers, show bags, food, water bottles.
3. Decide before you go your limits…3 rides and 2 show bags, 1 ride and 1 show bag…whatever it is, decide and communicate prior!
4. Do all the free stuff! See the animals, the exhibits, try all the taste testers…hours of free fun.
5. First time with a baby? Take a baby carrier and a changing mat. But also take the stroller (see above)
Have fun, these are the weeks where the stress will one day have magically transformed into a beautiful memory xx